5 Tips to Get Started Using Mendeley to Organize Your Articles
- Using your computer, set up a free account in Mendeley: https://www.mendeley.com/ (5 min.).
- Download Mendeley Desktop (5 min.).
- Watch the videos online (20 minutes or less).
- Download Mendeley’s Citation Plugin. (3 min.) The next time you are typing a paper in Word, you will be able to easily cite the references to the papers you have stored in Mendeley.
- Add the Mendeley Web Importer to your toolbar in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE, etc. (2 min.).
Next, open up the PDF of an article you have saved on your computer, or something new you have located in the UM Libraries online journal collections. If you have downloaded the Mendeley Web Importer, you will see a Mendeley icon at the top of the PDF. Click on the icon and you will be able to save the document to your Mendeley library in seconds.
Now, it’s time to PLAY – practice downloading 5 or 6 articles (5 to 10 mins).
Open up Word. Type a few words, such as, I am learning how to work smarter, not harder and add 2 or 3 references from the Mendeley library you have set up. Follow these instructions if you need more detailed instructions.
Contact your liaison librarian if you have questions or want to learn more about how to get the most out of Mendeley or other reference managers. We can show you how to set up research work groups, download batches of files, or consolidate your references from RefWorks or other reference and file systems.